If you tell enough stories, perhaps the moral will show up.

2007-01-23

The .Net Developer's Guide to Windows Security

Just a quick note to big up Keith Roberts and his book "The .Net Developer's Guide to Windows Security". Don't be foxed by the ".Net" bit -- it just means "Modern Windows". The whole text is online but it's well worth buying the book simply because it's broken down into five and ten minute chunks, so that a couple of month's toilet visits will have you knowing more than you want about every major topic in Windows Security.

It's not a management or policy text and knowing all of it is not obligatory, but this book has helped me deal with issues that ended up on me because apparently I know this stuff. I don't -- I stole it from Keith. Just as examples, check out How to Develop Code (and do other stuff) as a non-Admin or How to Store Secrets on a Machine

Serious, practical stuff.

No comments: